contempt explained


Working to Enforce Alimony and Child Support


Alimony, spousal support, and child support are necessary payments ordered by the court that individuals rely on and deserve to receive. When an individual fails to pay due support, it can create a financial burden on the person due the support. At the law office of Mary Beth Corn, P.A., I understand what is at stake when payments are not made and the difficulties of enforcing such payments.


With over 14 years of experience practicing law, I am extremely knowledgeable in Florida laws. I assist Florida residents enforce child support, alimony, and spousal support court orders and file civil contempt motions when necessary. If you need assistance with enforcement of Florida payments, I can help.


Contempt - When It Makes a Difference


If an individual has the ability to pay and deliberately violates a court order for support, the courts may hold that individual in contempt for failure to pay the child support or alimony. An individual charged with contempt faces the penalties of incarceration, restitution, and fines.


If the individual did not have the ability to pay the support, there is not a valid reason to file a contempt motion because it is likely that the individual still does not have the ability to pay. Contempt orders are not intended to harass an individual for not paying support. Their intent is to reimburse the due support and punish an individual for not following a court order when they had the ability to pay.


How I Can Help


When assisting individuals with child support and alimony enforcement, I analyze the situation to verify that there was in fact contempt. If contempt was involved, I investigate what remedies are available to our client. If the individual had means to pay our client but deliberately failed to do so or spent the money on non-necessities, I will file a motion for contempt and enforcement.


If you are not receiving court ordered child support payments, spousal support payments, or alimony, and believe the individual has the ability to pay the support, I may be able to assist you in a civil contempt action to reimburse you and punish the individual.


If you are in need of an attorney with contempt experience, contact for a free consulation today.


The material on this page represents general legal advice. Since the law is continually changing, some of the provisions contained here may be out of date. It is always best to consult a family law attorney about your legal rights and responsibilities regarding your particular case.